Tuesday, February 26, 2013

My Review


I Love This Camera, But...

By Moonshine Photography from Milton, VT on 2/26/2013

 

4out of 5

Pros: Solid but not too heavy, 2 SD card slots, Easy to Hold, Long Battery Life, Very customizable, AutoFocus, crisp clear photos

Cons: A LOT OF BUTTONS, Hard To Switch Lenses, Awkward Autofocus Button

Best Uses: Professional Shoots, Everyday photography

I want to start by saying that I bought this as a refurb, and the first one I received was defective. It would only autofocus randomly, and even on full Auto shooting mode it refused to focus. This is not Adorama's fault because it comes to them factory sealed from Nikon and is supposed to have been checked out thoroughly by Nikon. After a seamless hassle-free return and exchange my second D7000 works like a dream. I use it with an 18-200 Sigma DX lens, a 35mm Nikkor and an 18-55mm Nikkor and an SB-700 flash. I upgraded to this camera after exhausting my Canon Rebel XSi and needing something more professional to use. I'm blown away by the image quality and the customizable menus. I purchased a book on how to master this camera because there is so much to learn and it is really helping me. I generally take photos of children and the autofocus tracking so far has proven to be phenomenal. It has a focus lock that allows you to set a time limit on how long it stays locked on a certain object, such as a bird flying, if a closer object appears in the viewfinder. That means that if a tree or a road sign were to come into view when you are tracking the bird it will ignore them and stay locked on where the bird was for x amount of time, after which it will refocus on something else. Definitely a must have for candid child photography. I also do landscapes and am still learning how to configure the menus for optimal colors and white balance. Looking forward to summer when there are actual colors around.

What I don't like so far about this camera is more of a personal preference matter. I don't like how many buttons there are and how many require me to use my left hand. The ISO, WB, and playback buttons are all located on the left hand side of the LCD screen. On my last camera it was the opposite. I'm sure I just need to get used to it. I also have trouble remembering that the autofocus mode change button is on the side of the lens mount (not the lens itself, but just next to it on the body) and it is a bit awkward to push as I do have a bit of a fingernail and it is set inside of a switch. To change AF modes you have to hold this down while turning one of TWO dials on the right hand side of the camera. I am finding myself having to think an awful lot when changing modes and settings on this camera. This can cause me to lose a shot or two but again, I need to get used to it.

Changing lenses is also more challenging than it was on the Canon Rebel. It turns in the opposite direction and does not seem to slide into place the way my other one did. I am hoping this does not result in sensor dust as time goes by.

I bought this camera because I wanted something more challenging than the Rebel and more professional to give me confidence in taking my hobby to a new level. I do feel that this camera has fulfilled these desires and I would recommend it to anyone wanting to upgrade to a prosumer camera.

D7000 using 18-55mm lens and SB-700 Flash

thumbnail

Tags: Made with Product, Jumping

Handheld with no flash and ISO 2000

thumbnail

Tags: Made with Product

(legalese)

1 comment:

  1. Buttons on the left or right, needing to press this or that, etc etc are just minor adjustments that you need to make. The settings, configurations, buttons, and dials are standard Nikon. Canons have their own differences. When you are used to one thing, changing to something else takes time and patience. But, one thing is clear, the photo quality and photography experience is much superior with the Nikon that the poor old Canon!

    ReplyDelete